IDAHO FALLS YOUTH SYMPHONY
UPDATED 2017 AUDITION INFORMATION
- Students in grades 7-12 are eligible to play in the Youth Symphony. All levels are encouraged to audition.
- Students are expected to be regular members of their school orchestra, band, or percussion class. Exceptions will be made for home-school students and students whose school does not have any of the above-mentioned groups.
- Youth Symphony rehearsals are on Thursday evenings 7:00-9:00 p.m. from September through December and January through April. Excellent attendance is expected.
- There is a $40.00 annual tuition fee for new and returning members of the Youth Symphony.
- The Youth Symphony Retreat will be required for all new and returning players. More information on the 2016 retreat coming soon.
- Auditions for the 2017-18 academic season are scheduled for: TUESDAY, MAY 2nd, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - Idaho Falls High School Band & Choir Rooms (Northeast entrance, across from practice fields)
- Students may arrive at any time. Students arriving early should not have a long wait time. A room list for warmups and auditions will be provided at that time.
- Be prepared to play two of the following scales, one major, one minor (3-octave is preferred): Violin: G/g and A/a; Viola & Cello: C/c and D/d; Bass: E/e and D/d. One scale should be slurred, 2, 4, 6, or 8 notes per bow. The other should be played spiccato, 4 bow repetitions per pitch (16th notes) at your own comfortable speed. Scales must be played from memory.
- Two short solo selections of your choice: one slow, and one fast.
Woodwinds and Brass:
- Chromatic scale up and down (as much of the range of your instrument as you can) legato-tongued at your chosen speed.
- Be prepared to play F Major, A-Flat Major, D Major, G Major, and A Major scales (2 octaves preferred). Two will be chosen, one slurred and the other tongued at your own comfortable speed. Scales are at written pitch, not at concert pitch. Scales must be played from memory.
- A short (8 measures or so), slow selection of your choice.
- A short (8 to 16 measures or so), fast selection of your choice.
(Students are expected to play all instruments, which will be provided at the audition.)
- Play 4 rudiments of your choice on the snare drum (slow to fast).
- Play a segment of a snare drum solo or etude.
- You will be asked to tune 2 timpani to given pitches, then demonstrate a roll.
- Be prepared to play F Major, B-Flat Major, E-Flat Major, and G Major scales on the xylophone (two octaves). Two will be chosen. Play at your own speed. Scales must be played from memory.